Ice-cream is a staple sweet treat especially when it’s warm.
But if like most people you simply dig in without a second thought, you’ve been doing it wrong.
With the help of sensory scientist Dr Sarah Kemp, low-calorie ice-cream brand Oppo Brothers have discovered exactly how we should be eating ice-cream for it to taste the best, reports the Daily Star.
The formula – ([email protected]°C + ½S + UDS + 12s) x 2 = MF* – helps to create a sensory experience and maximum flavour – who knew?
But since that probably means nothing to most of us, they have also shared seven easy to follow steps.
1. Firstly you should leave the ice-cream for 15 minutes after getting it out of the freezer to reach -14C.
It will be soft to the touch – no need to aggressively dig at it with a spoon – this will release the aroma molecules.
2. Using a teaspoon, scoop out a small amount of ice-cream, about half of the spoon.
3. Then place the teaspoon upside down into your mouth so the ice cream touches your tongue – taste buds – first.
4. Move the ice-cream around your mouth taking note of the cold sensation and creamy texture.
5. Inhale through your mouth so that it reaches all your receptors.
6. Keep the ice-cream in your mouth for a full 12 seconds to experience maximum flavour.
7. Repeat with every bite to build up the full ice-cream taste profile and sensation.
Dr Sarah Kemp, a flavour expert and sensory scientist, said: “Flavour is extremely important and getting the most out of every mouthful should be your number one priority, especially when it comes to ice cream.
“However, more often than not, people are unaware of how to maximise flavour sensations when it comes to eating all types of food.
“When tasting ice cream, turning the spoon upside down as it enters your mouth ensures the ice cream touches your taste buds first giving you a stronger flavour impact, almost instantly.”
Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Eve Digital Telegram channel HERE.
The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Evewoman.co.ke