It’s no secret in life that some people can be a toxic influence on us, but working out when a friendship has gotten to the point where it’s unhealthy can be pretty difficult.
ALSO READ: Eight ways to enjoy being single
Thankfully there are people out there who can recognise the signs that it’s time to end a relationship with a particular individual.
People shared their top tips for working out whether someone close to you is toxic and it’s illuminating.
Here’s a look at some of the signs you need to look out for with your pals, according to the Reddit users.
1. “If they leave you feeling drained or anxious. If you feel like to have to watch what you say or do in fear of upsetting them. You dread seeing them or talking to them.”
2. “Are you the one doing all the initiating and planning? Is it always you reaching out to them? If you stopped initiating, would you ever hear from them again?
“If the friendship is very one-sided (with you doing all or most of the work), move on. Real friends will show an interest in you and reciprocate.”
3. “When you know what’s going on their life – problems and all – but they don’t know s*** about your own.”
ALSO READ: He cheated, what next?
4. “So many toxic behaviours and abusive patterns center on making you feel guilty and thus obligated.”
5. “If you don’t feel comfortable enough to confide in them. If you can never get comfortable around them: when you can’t be yourself without treading lightly and pretending for them.”
6. “They’re an ‘askhole’ aka a person who constantly asks for advice about their sad/messed up life situations— but fail to ever really take any given advice. They just want to vent and hear themselves talk, not make any positive actions toward change.”
7. “If someone disrespects your boundaries and/or makes you feel insecure/anxious, I would consider that a toxic relationship. You should not feel pressured or like you’re walking on eggshells when with an actual friend.”
8. “If you think to yourself ‘is so and so toxic?’ Or ‘I don’t know if blah is good for me’ then that person is toxic. If you’re in a healthy relationship you don’t go around wondering if your relationship is abusive.”
9. “They’re toxic if they’re inconsiderate of your time. I’m not talking 15-20 minutes late, but anything more than that, or flaking out of plans last minute repeatedly. Not worth your time.”
10. “Are they trustworthy? If they spend a lot of their time bashing their supposed close friends, know that they will do that exact same thing to you.”
Did any of these signs stand out to you? Might be worth having a think about the type of people you want to surround yourself with.